[Cdt-l] Wifi only device on trail?

Tjamrog08 tjamrog at me.com
Mon Aug 27 06:58:04 CDT 2012

As with any communication device, If you fear being connected, just shut it off until you want to post to your journal.
An iPod Touch is an iPhone without the phone part, unless you also subscribe to a Skype phone number.  I used one for the entire PCT in 2010 and it was the only thing I took that didn't break.  The next step up is to get a MiFi device to link it to, which is a credit card shaped electronic device that serves as your very own WiFi hub, that also will allow up to 5 devices at a time to access it.  This was very useful in making friends on the PCT.  Of course you will have to pay $50 a month for the service and have to get a 2 year contract, or at least it was the case then.  I upgraded to an iPhone since then. As with any piece of gear, start using it 6 months before you hit the trail- you need that time to learn all about it and get the most out of it.
 It is sometimes VERY useful to have a phone or a communication device to secure reservations ahead, contact people that want to or have offered to help you.  The price I paid for the $50 a month service was saved several times while on the trail. You are talking about the trip of a lifetime, Many of us may never go back to these long trails again- don't cheap it out.
I am not embarrassed to take help while out there.  You never know the lifetime of connections that may continue.

here's my 2010 blog post about my  setup.

Uncle Tom
http://tjamrog.wordpress.com