[Cdt-l] Cdt-l] Wifi only device on trail?

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Mon Aug 27 09:28:29 CDT 2012

I've always thought a kindle (the original series, not the "fire") would
make a really useful trail "companion"... It's very light, the screen is
larger, you can read it in full sun, the battery lasts forever, and it's
cheap. The kindle touch or 'keyboard" would seem best, and they come
with 3G options as well (I'm not sure if you can enter text with the
touch... any owners out there? Plus, I'm not sure how the e-mail
capabilities are. It says these have an "experimental browser", but not
sure if that'd work with various e-mail services.

One thing that would make these "killer", would be color e-ink... you
could load your maps as a .pdf book (I think... not sure if you could
zoom), and it could be your map as well (though, I'd be leery about
using an electronic device as my only map). If you could make-do with
b/w maps, it might even work as-is... but that'd be a problem in some
areas.

Anyway, I don't own one (but do own an iPhone & iPad). I'd be curious to
hear of anyone who has used a kindle on the trail & what their thoughts
are...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HZYA6E/ref=famstripe_kk3g

-Jonathan