[Cdt-l] Cost of hiking the entire CDT?

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Mon Aug 27 23:38:50 CDT 2012

Just one comment on that number... Depending on your personal situation,
be sure to consider what you "won't" be spending on the CDT; no rent, no
utilities, no gas, no other daily living expenses... spending $5000 on a
4-5 month hiking trip is an exceptional value. It's a lot less than most
people spend in their regular "non-trail" lives.

How much you spend depends a lot on how you manage your resupply, how
many nights you stay in hotels... which hotel... if you have
"roommates", and how much will power you have to resist binging in town.
$5000 would be a pretty posh trail experience by some standards. You
could get by on quite a bit less than that.

Then, there are the expenses that you might have already spent - gear,
clothing, equipment... For some people, this is nearly $0 (well, except
replacement shoes). For others, it's a lot.

Anyway, while it's good to have a budget, just remember there are a lot
of ways to calculate it.

Best of luck!

-Jonathan