[Cdt-l] Cost of hiking the entire CDT?

Jennifer Hanson jennifer.hanson at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 28 11:28:55 CDT 2012

We spent about twice that per person. which included a lot of new gear
(though we were already avid back-packers), COBRA insurance while we were
away, two flights each to/fro the trail to NY, lots of freeze dried food and
the cost of mailing it out to ourselves (around $30-40/29 resupply stops),
spending money while in town, though we didn't linger and tried to keep the
costs down.

In hindsight, we could have purchased a lot more food in resupply towns and
skipped the postage.  We used most of the gear we bought though never needed
our ice axes, crampons, heavy ropes.  We could have done without the
bake-packer.

I have a complete list of gear we started with and the diminished list we
ended with in my book Hiking the Continental Divide Trail - One Woman's
Journey.  You can pick up this book used on Amazon for not too much or order
it from me at www.HikingtheCDT.com .

Regardless - it was the trip of a lifetime and though it took 18 months to
pay off my credit card debt, it was totally worth it!  I would pay 3 times
as much just to have the time and freedom to do it again.

Jennifer A Hanson

2251 Rosendale Rd

Niskayuna, NY 12309

518.334.3099 (cell)