[Cdt-l] Lujan to La Garita CDNST Relocation

Jim Wolf mail at cdtsociety.org
Mon Dec 3 21:37:36 CST 2012

The Forest Service has proposed to relocate the CDT for 32 miles in
southern Colorado -- from Lujan Creek to the La Garita Wilderness. (This
is in the Cochetopa Hills, south of Monarch Pass.)

The new alignment would be a nonroaded route close to the Continental
Divide and off the roads that have been used to date. Under the
preferred alternative, travel would be restricted to foot and equestrian
use, and mountain biking would not be allowed.

Although we have some concerns about water access and details of the
location, we generally endorse the Forest Service's proposal.

Mountain biking organizations are urging the Forest Service to open the
trail to mechanized users. With the nearby example of the bike freeway
between Monarch Pass and Marshall Pass in mind, we are urging the Forest
Service to hold to its understanding that mountain biking in this
unspoiled and scenic setting would not be consistent with the nature and
purposes of the Continental Divide National Scenic Trail.

We have submitted comments to the Forest Service.

Our comments, with links to related information, have been posted in the
What's New section of our website, www.cdtsociety.org .

Please take a look at the materials we have posted. You can submit
comments (address posted on our site) by December 17.

We would appreciate your sending us your submissions or other thoughts
on this matter.