[Cdt-l] CC

Liz Mares azlazorra1 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 8 21:35:06 CST 2012

I have a pic somewhere too.  I've been on the CDT since 1990 as it's my favorite trail.  Once I had the misfortune of ramming both feet into a stout cactus hidden in the grass just before I-10.  After removing as many of the needles as I could, I limped my way towards Silver City.  My feet swelled and reddened horribly.  This wonderful couple, John and Mary Evans from White Signal took pity on me and insisted I recuperate with them.  Turns out that John was either the son or grandson (I think he was the son but I can't remember for sure, unless it's in my notes somewhere) of the Frank Evans who was killed by the Crazy Cook and told me the whole story.  John was in poor health at the time with frequent visits to the VA hospital but was a great storyteller.  His wife, Mary, once owned the nursing home in town.  This couple didn't have much but I'll be forever grateful for their love and kindness.

~~La Zorra~~