[Cdt-l] Mountain bikes on the CDT

bcss at bresnan.net bcss at bresnan.net
Thu Dec 13 18:22:44 CST 2012

I've been involved with The Colorado Trail Foundation for a lengthy period,
and have completed the CT six times over a 22 year time span.  Two of those
completions were thru trips via mountain bike, the other four were on foot.
(Hiking is really a lot easier)  The CT is the first long trail I mapped,
and three of my trips included gps mapping and detailed assessment of the
condition of the trail.  Part of that assessment was detailing trail damage
for remediation by trail crews.

The trail is impacted by all users, some more than others.  The most
severely damaged areas are those that allow motorized use, be it
motorcycles, four wheelers, or SUV's.  That is the reason why the 32 mile
reroute was proposed in the first place, to separate the non motorized from
motorized users.  Most of the CT is closed to motorized use but all of it
outside of designated wilderness has always been open to bicycles. The CT
guidebook provides information for cyclists to detour around wilderness,
making it possible to thru-bike the trail.

In the non-motorized portions of the trail by far the most trail damage I
have seen has been caused by hoofed animals, but not so much by horses,
which are somewhat of a rarity.  Horses do cause damage in places where they
have daily rides for tourists, but even that is relatively minor compared to
the damage caused by deer, elk, and livestock.  Collectively, these animals
comprise the largest CT user group and they cause the most damage, something
we generally just have to live with.  The next biggest offender group is
hikers who cut switchbacks and cause significant erosion on steep slopes.
That is a huge problem, particularly in sensitive high alpine meadows.
Damage from bicycles occurs in places where the trail is too steep and
cyclists drag their rear tire to control speed, causing erosion and ruts.
That problem has been greatly minimized on the CT by improved trail design
to reduce grade.  Considering that there are at least ten thru-hikers for
every thru-cyclist, cyclists are one of the least damaging user groups.

Every inch of the 486 miles long CT is maintained every year via robust and
active trail crews and adopter programs run by the CTF.  Small problems get
annual attention and don't become large issues due to regular maintenance.
The trail is excellent, and hikers should not feel threatened or
uncomfortable about sharing it.  Particularly CDT thru-hikers, who are used
to a considerably rougher and less defined path.

BTW, the Colorado Trail Foundation is a non-profit organization that assumes
100% responsibility for care and maintenance of the CT.  It is supported by
donations and all the trail work is performed by volunteers.  It is not
supported by  "higher taxes, mandatory trail maintenance, user fees".

I, too have occasionally encountered cyclists and motorized vehicles in the
wilderness where they are not allowed.  When this happens I tell them that
they are breaking the law then get out my camera and start taking pictures.
That seems to have a very unsettling effect.  If you get a chance to share
the pictures with local authorities that is even better.

best wishes,

Jerry Brown (bearcreek)

 <mailto:bcss at bresnan.net> mailto:bcss at bresnan.net

www.bearcreeksurvey.com