[Cdt-l] Jerry Browns Maps

Dry Camp wingnut.hiker at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 12:31:17 CST 2012

I am a section hiker.  Did New Mexico in 2010 and Colorado this past
season.  I did NM using a combo of Ley maps, forest service maps, and BLM
maps.  It didn't work so well for me.  There is a lot of confusing /
unmarked stuff out there and I got off route several times.  One time I
walked into a private ranch accidentally and learned I was two miles from
where I thought I was.  Last summer I bought the map book from CDTA and had
much better luck.  Only got lost once and that was in the South San Juans.
 I was following a really good trail and walked right by a place where the
CDT took off following cairns.  I turned on my GPS and it pointed me back
to where I missed the turn.  I guess I started paying better attention
because after that I made it all the way across Colorado without problems.
 I have purchased the Montana book and am awaiting arrival of the Wyoming
one.  To me this is the way to go.

The maps are clear and easy to read.  I removed the spiral binding and put
the maps I didn't need in my bounce box.  I put the ones I carried in a
large ziplock that I purchased at Office Depot.

Only downside I can see is that the maps are only for the official route.
 I have been considering  going to Mack's Inn and would like to keep the
Anaconda cutoff option so I am going to print those from the Ley CD and
carry them.  I am seriously thinking that since I am section hiking that I
might just stick to the official route since navigation with the maps is so
straightforward.

IMO, Following a good map with detailed GPS information is bulletproof.
 Great the way to go.

Dry Camp