[Cdt-l] An analytical question

John Evans - N0HJ jaevans at pcisys.net
Wed Feb 29 19:23:07 CST 2012

Good evening all,

   Not exactly CDT related as I am planning a relatively short section
hike on the CT for this summer (it does cover a portion of the CDT
however), but I think there should be a way to look at raw data from
trail guides (water sources, potential camping sites, etc.) and come up
with a decent process to plan the day to day mileage and stops.

   I suspect that many just take off on the trail with planning more
focused on resupply points and points of interest but I am sure the way
I am going about this is either all wrong or that there should be an
easier way.  What I do now is look at where I am beginning, then look at
about what mileage I'd like to do, then figure out where a decent spot
would be to stop for the evening based upon water and terrain.  The
trouble is, from my perspective, is that this is really serial thinking
that often paints me in small corners due to my constraints.  I usually
plan for a shorter first day out since I have to deal with logistics of
getting to the trailhead and then try to plan for a certain number of
miles based upon my physical level at the time and the terrain.  The
trouble is it just isn't working for me anymore and I am looking for a
better way.

   I am always flexible on the trail and can adjust to the situation, so
I rarely stick rigidly to my original plans.   So what has worked for
you folks?  As for details, my plan is to do about 110 miles on the CT
this summer from Clear Creek down to hwy 114 over about 8-10 days, so
there are many options to vary the trip along the way.   I just want an
easier way to come up with the preliminaries.

   Caveat - this may just be the engineer in me trying to over analyze.

Thanks much for whatever comments or flames may come my way,
John