[Cdt-l] Keith and Mary in Deming

Brett blisterfree at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 16 20:21:57 CST 2012

>>It's Yogi's prerogative to include, or not include, what she thinks will best benefit the hiker.  Not having Keith in it, isn't going to diminish it's value over the course of the trail.<<

I would say that the value of a guidebook, of any sort, would be diminished if it failed to list important services that were more of a one-off deal, with no competition or reasonable alternatives in a similar vein and offering similar conveniences. In that respect, it's a different situation than omitting mention of the one-star motel at the far end of Grants that comes with equally one-star hiker reviews, or the greasy spoon that always causes hikers heartburn in Salida.

We're talking about starting or finishing a thru-hike, and transitioning into or out of trail life at the southern border. If I were a business or angel providing such a rare and important service, and my goal were primarily to offer that service come what may, then hopefully I'd be as accepting of a less-than-favorable review as the reviewer would be toward the value of publishing the service I provide. If we're up front and honest with each other, and our common goal is to help hikers, then out with it, onto paper, before the masses, zero drama from either camp, end of story. Eh?

- bf