[Cdt-l] What About the CDTS?

Jim Wolf mail at cdtsociety.org
Tue Jan 17 17:03:49 CST 2012

A few days ago, Teresa Ellis asked:

What about the CDTS?

The short answer is that we expect to continue much as we have since 1978.

As I wrote to one of our members:

"I do hope that many of the CDTA activities -- especially the volunteer
program -- will continue.

In consultation with the Forest Service, we may find some additional
ways that CDTS might help -- but I personally am more comfortable
focusing on our traditional information and planning functions than
taking on the administrative responsibilities that go with a larger
organization."

We have relied on many CDNST enthusiasts to keep us up to date on
changing conditions of the trail, including relocations, planning
activities, and angelic and other resources. We have recently had some
assistance in redesign and update of our website, an area in which much
improvement is still needed. If you can lend us a hand in any way, we
would welcome your suggestions. (And our thanks for all you have done in
the past.)

Although we did not always see eye-to-eye with CDTA, we consulted
regularly in recent years on issues related to Forest Service and BLM
plans. We found Teresa Martinez to be an especially good friend of the
Trail and hope her efforts will continue as a volunteer with the
Partnership for the National Trails System.

Our outlook on the future of the Trail is brighter than some of the
CDT-L posts. The leadership of the Forest Service's Greg Warren has been
a major asset in moving the CDNST in the right direction, and that will
surely continue. The most recent BLM planning activity, for the Lander
Field Office, displays a welcome sensitivity to the values of the Trail
as well. Good intentions alone will not suffice, of course, if the
necessary funds and manpower are not available to carry them out. That
is a challenge, and it is one that I believe will be met.

The comments in support of CDTS that have appeared here are greatly
appreciated. With your encouragement, we will do our part to ensure an
excellent future for the Continental Divide Trail.

Happy trails!

CDTS/Jim Wolf