[Cdt-l] Mosquitoes in the Winds

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Sun Jul 8 21:01:29 CDT 2012

I don't have a first hand account, but based on general experience of
mosquitoes in mountains throughout the west... they seem to peak a few
weeks after the bulk of the snow melts, then gradually lessen until
disappearing in dry and frosty weather come mid-septemberish. Of course,
the intensity will vary with how wet the winter/spring was, and the
local terrain (i.e. the high lakes in Oregon are a breeding ground). The
schedule/intensity will vary with the elevation too. If I had a crystal
ball, I'd guess they're pretty bad in parts of the Winds right now, and
will be slightly less bad in 2 weeks... but still an annoyance. Of
course, if anyone has a first-hand account, that'd be better...