[Cdt-l] Mosquitoes in the Winds

thomas hogeboom thogeboom at fairpoint.net
Mon Jul 9 06:38:42 CDT 2012

I hiked through the Winds July 12-19, 2008 and did encounter what I would
call a moderate number of mosquitoes. I doubt that it was anywhere near
the biblical plague you experienced on the PCT. I was carrying full body
netting (worn only in the worst spots) which weighs next to nothing, and
DEET. Both helped me enjoy the trek, but a rereading of my journal
reminded me that there were some areas (especially south of Pole Creek)
where the mosquitoes were annoying. I awoke at least one morning with a
cloud of the winged devils waiting outside the tent.

Given the timing of your hike, you might expect fewer mosquitoes. With an
effective repellant you should be fine (net pants and net shirt
optional).

Hog