[Cdt-l] Montana Wilderness Association accepts bikes on the CDT because the local agency does

Patrick Shyvers pshyvers at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 16:56:24 CDT 2012

Motor bikes could do a lot of damage, but bicycles don't seem to.

> If they build trails that will support bikes, then bikes will come*. If
bikers contribute to building the trail, they are creating entitlement to
the trail that extend beyond the sections they work on.

Cupcake, isn't more people involved and contributing to the trail a good
thing? I thought one of the CDT's challenges right now was lack of funding
and support.

-Patrick

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 11:44 AM, John Brennan <john at frozenpoodle.com>
wrote:

Hi CDT List,
I just got an email from the Montana Wilderness Association. I was
subscribed presumably because CDTA gave them my information. In the
newsletter Montana Wilderness Association supports bikes on the CDT. The
Montana Wilderness Association representative said that they accept bikes on
the CDT because the local agency in charge of the trail accepts them. The
local agency accepts bikes because single-track motorized vehicles are
allowed.

With bikes and motorized use, it's not the CDT, IMHO. It's hard to advocate
for the CDT. This is one of the ways to do it. If they build trails that

You can contact Shannon Freix, CDT Program Manager, atsfreix at wildmontana.org
or (406) 781-0627, if you have an opinion about this.

Sincerely,
The hiker known as Cupcake
(Who has really been wanting to get back on the CDT!)