[Cdt-l] Wind River Range

bcss at bresnan.net bcss at bresnan.net
Wed Jul 11 18:03:08 CDT 2012

Big Sandy is a long drive on dirt roads but the roads are not rough.  Some
of it gets very slippery when wet. It's a huge trailhead and was packed when
we were there last year.

Another possibility to consider is backing up to South Pass City and hiking
from there.  It is 45 miles to Big Sandy and 71 more to Green River Lakes.
That mileage is on the official CDT route, but there are lots of
alternatives.

The hiking in the Winds is surprisingly easy, much more so than parts of
Colorado. Highest elevations are just over 11,000'.  You can take your time
and do the entire South Pass to Green River Lakes hike in a week.

best wishes,

Jerry Brown
(970) 403-3527    Cell: (970) 749-0496
mailto:bcss at bresnan.net