[Cdt-l] How to get to Dubois?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Jul 13 19:39:44 CDT 2012

I think that is what I am asking. How do people get from the CDT to
where you hitch a ride. It looks like you have to hike a long way off-
trail. Where I live I am not used to hiking off trail because
basically you can't do it. You can attempt to hike down a creek but
you'll probably die before you get anywhere because most places are
impenetrable brush and scree. So looking at these maps it makes me
nervous to consider that the only way it appears you get to that side
of all those big mountains and glaciers is to either scramble along a
creek or walk over a glacier. Yikes! Is that what people do?

I am okay with doing this with other people but I guess I'm a little
worried about doing a cross-country return trip off-trail by myself.

Am I right about the cross-country? Is it a very difficult thing to
do in this area?