[Cdt-l] How to get to Dubois?

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Fri Jul 13 19:54:50 CDT 2012

The CDT (red line on my maps) crosses hwy 287 near Togwotee Pass. It's
trail or forest roads the whole way... confusing, yes in places, but
certainly hikable.

The alternate over Shale Peak ends/starts at the end of Trail Lake Road
- at a trailhead. There are a variety of routes in there. Some of them
are fairly easy cross-country walking, some are more difficult (or
downright brutal in the case of the Faler Lake - Clear Lake portion), as
described in the notes. From the trailhead, it's either catch a ride, or
walk the road into Dubois.

Anyway, you don't have to do any of those alternates... but if you want
to cross to/from the NE side of the Winds from the CDT, you have to
cross somewhere. :-)

-Jonathan