[Cdt-l] Elbow Pass Fire in Bob Marshall

bcss at bresnan.net bcss at bresnan.net
Sat Jul 14 09:11:12 CDT 2012

CDT headed south into the Scapegoat from Benchmark is closed to Green Creek
because of the Elbow Fire, which is ¼ mile off of the CDT.  They are
actively trying to suppress it but if they can’t hikers are going to get
stopped.

It appears that SOBO hikers could get around it this way: (NOBO hikers
should reverse the directions. )

Follow Benchmark Road 12 Miles towards Augusta

Turn right on Petty Ford Trail at Double Falls for 1.9 miles

Left on Petty Creek for 1.25 miles

Right on Smith Creek for 2 miles

R on Jakie Creek 2.9 miles.

This will bring you back to the CDT at Welcome Pass (Mile 38.7)  Benchmark
is mile 58.6 so the detour is about the same length.

Here is a map to help:  www.bearcreeksurvey.com/Map_Updates/Elbow Pass
Detour.pdf
<http://www.bearcreeksurvey.com/Map_Updates/Elbow%20Pass%20Detour.pdf>

The map begins where you turn off of the Benchmark to Augusta Road.

best wishes,

Jerry Brown

 <mailto:bcss at bresnan.net> mailto:bcss at bresnan.net

www.bearcreeksurvey.com