[Cdt-l] hyatt's

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Thu Jul 19 14:43:05 CDT 2012

On my map columbus07, I do have a note warning people to steer clear of
the Hyatt Ranch & that they "don't like hikers". I'll have to remove
that for the next update. I'm sure it was based on some feedback I got
at some point, and just never updated... Anyway, I didn't use the word
"hostile", which could imply they would go out of their way to be mean
to hikers. "hostile" is a loaded word...

On my map Columbus06, I simply have a grey box drawn that shows the
approx. boundaries of the Hyatt Ranch, with no comment, and a suggested
route to the south of the boundary.

On map Columbus04, I had this to say more generally about private
property & ranches in the area:
...Different owners have different opinions and attitudes toward hikers,
so it's hard to make any generalities, but best to avoid private
property as best you can. The big concern is that hikers may spook
cattle. One rancher has this advice/comment: Hikers on foot can spook
cattle simply by their presence. Heifers will sometimes leave their
calves causing additional labor for the rancher in getting them to
"mother back up". I try to educate the hikers and recreationalists to
walk a wide circle around cattle so as not to spook them. Cattle see
ranchers on horseback and when something out of the norm comes along
they will flee. Sometimes if a hiker will stop when they spook cattle,
the cattle will turn around and look, and then be allright with their
presence, at which time the hiker may continue without any disruption.

Anyway, I hope someone can let them know these details. We all could use
as much friendly relations with local landowners as possible.

-Jonathan