[Cdt-l] Wind River section hike report

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Jul 26 19:36:06 CDT 2012

I know it's such a common section that it hardly constitutes a report
about the CDT proper, but I did manage to meet up with some thru-
hikers for the Winds and hike with them from Big Sandy to Green River.

I made use of the Pinedale Outfitter's shuttle service. Well worth
the money to not have to worry about your car. It was waiting for me
when I arrived two days sooner than I told them. Too bad because I
would have hiked on if it hadn't been there. We were hoping there
would be lots of people at the Green River Lakes trailhead and we
could convince someone to drive my car to Togwotee Pass but the place
was a ghost town. Now that I've driven the road from Green Lakes to
Cora I think that might have been a bit too much to ask a stranger
anyway.

It rained a little most nights and one day it rained quite a bit
during the day. The mosquitoes were out but they really weren't that
bad. We saw no bears, but we did see moose and a mink. Climbing
Knapsack Col was the most terrifying thing I have ever done. We ate
tons of porcini mushrooms. Next time I'm hiking with a frying pan and
a stick of butter. The Winds are the most amazing and beautiful place
I have ever been. I hope someday to hike more of the CDT.

Diane