[Cdt-l] Permits on the CDT

Matthew Edwards iceaxehikes at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 21:38:36 CDT 2012

"For the benefit of those who didn't click the link... These are the little
self-issue free permits that are required in most wilderness areas (at
least here in the PNW).

Not sure about everyone else, but I always make sure to fill these out, as
they use this data for any number of purposes... Like most things, our
wilderness areas are "use it or lose it", and if nobody knows we're using
it, we risk losing it..."- Jonathan Ley

I actually loved filling out the "self issue" permits on all my hikes.
Especially when it askes for "exit" location.
Technically it would be the place i exited the wilderness area in
question.. yet I could not help but write CANADA in caps on every permit.
I sure hope the rangers understand our perspective a little.
Particularly on the CDT where there are only two locations where your
progress is "controlled" (Yellowstone and Glacier).
In those places i played by the rules in order NOT to punish the hikers
behind me.
Probably should not play fast and loose with those self registration
permits like i have though.
All in all.. there is surprisingly little regulation on the Triple Crown
Trails.
We are so dang lucky to have such incredible spaces to walk freely.
-Iceaxe