[Cdt-l] Trail north of Monarch Lake (near Grand Lake)

lint at riseup.net lint at riseup.net
Sun Jun 24 13:56:49 CDT 2012

South of Grand Lake there is a gnarly section of beetle kill that should
be avoided. North of Monarch Lake on Ley map #11 the trail heads along the
shore of Arapaho Bay before heading up to Knight Ridge. That section is
blow-down city, and should be avoided at all costs. I hiked it and was
bleeding from far too many places to count. It's only about 4 miles, but
they are 4 miles from HELL.

Instead of hiking through that madness, I suggest one of two things.
Either hike the shore around Arapaho Bay to the old Forest Service cabin
(where the trail improves) or roadwalk. You can cross the bridge south of
the bay on County Road 6 West and roadwalk to a T intersection
with Hwy 34. Hwy 34 heads about 7 miles north to Grand Lake. Well, that's
what my maps say. I hiked the "trail" and was cursing so much even I was
blushing.

Also, the brewery in Grand Lake moved out of town and the hostel doesn't
have guest laundry. So, yeah, my "first world problems" just keep stacking
up. BUT! The Never Summer outfitter is starting a hiker register for us,
and are some of the coolest folks in town. Dan was super friendly and they
were all stoked on ultralight gear and trail lore.