[Cdt-l] An analytical question

jaevans at pcisys.net jaevans at pcisys.net
Thu Mar 1 12:40:33 CST 2012

First, thanks to all who have replied already.  Looks like I "am" trying to
overplan.  Going through the trail descriptions does give me a better feel
for what I might encounter and what areas may be of some concern.

I like to camp higher as well, at least out of creek drainage that could
leave things damp in the morning.  Camping higher but still in the trees
gives me options for wire antenna support for my little ham radio rig - my
wife likes to know where I am each night and I can usually find someone
willing to fire off an email to her.  I can carry water as well but like to
be somewhat close in case I run low in the night or morning.

And Mags, I do have the data book which I find useful but somewhat out of
sync with the trail guide, but that is always a problem whenever one uses
more than one source of data.

One day, when I am rich (not until my daughter gets out of college though),
I will do some longer distance trails and maybe even thru hike one.  Right
now I am limited to section hikes when I can afford the vacation time.

Thanks,
John

> Agree with dry camping.  Often camping "high" gave the best views(sun
sets/> rises)  and that was second in importance to me (first being FLATish
spot).>   Also when I was not near water I worried less about critters
visiting me