[Cdt-l] Oh Canada!

Jim and_or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 11 12:42:12 CDT 2012

There are three possible routes south - one starts at Waterton, two at Chief Mountain.  The various routes are in the Jim Wolf's guidebook.  We have done all three, and they are all good.  I agree that Waterton is probably the most scenic, but heading south into the mountains from Chief Mountain is also beautiful.  The Chief Mountain route is better if there is a lot of snow, as it is a bit lower and clears out earlier than the Waterton route.  There are a couple of places that can be a problem on the Waterton route if there is a lot of snow still on the ground there. The Chief Mountain route that goes through the Ptarmigan Tunnel will not be open if there is a lot of snow.  We did that route in the fall and it is interesting to walk through the tunnel. You do not cross the border on the Chief Mountain routes, which is nice if you don't have a passport or have had previous encounters with the law.  e.g. supposedly, if you have had a previous DUI, the Canadians may not let you cross the border.   Regarding the permit to hike through Glacier - unless things have changed, you can't get a permit in East Glacier.  If you don't get it in advance, you will need to get it at Two Medicine or St. Marys or West Glacier.   Ginny

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/