[Cdt-l] GPS & Battery Usage

Barbara Nash barbnashone at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 13 08:10:27 CDT 2012

I have a couple questions about people's experience with GPS/battery usage on the CDT. I have a Garmin 62S.

1.  I have read a few folks saying that they keep their GPS on continually/never turn it off while walking . . . so maybe 10 hours/day.  I can see that this isuseful if you need to backtrack, might make it easier to "find" yourself and keep in synch with a paper map.   But . . .  I am wondering if folks generally do this or if they turn their GPS on and off . . . which might conserve batteries.

2.  The best battery options seem to be the widely available lithium batteries (disposable) or a rechargeable like Sanyo Eneloop.  Has anyone used the Eneloops.  Did they hold up to the published stats . . . 15-20 hours and hold their charge (for practical purposes) forever when not in use.  Did you have trouble dinding places to recharge your batteries on the CDT.

3.  Anything else you would like to say about this topic?

Barb (aka Late Start)