[Cdt-l] Gentle Reminder

lynne whelden lwgear at juno.com
Sun Mar 18 20:26:57 CDT 2012

Amazing! My suggestion, my gentle reminder, my floating of an opinion has now managed to "offend" two CDT hikers. Count 'em.
Once the CDTA disappeared and now the trail's maintenance is left to hikers (and the government), what happens? The hikers start shooting each other. Where's the peace and love that supposedly exists out on the trail?
I'll explain the analogy again, since its meaning got lost in the cross-fire. Of the 3 major trails, the CDT, due to its rustic and generally un-blazed nature, gets only a handful of hardened hikers each year. It gets 1% compared to the other trails.
The 99% are those who either elect to do the blazed trails or they stay around home and just walk locally.
My concern--I'm sorry if you can't relate--has been for those 99% and how to coax them to try out the CDT. Towns along the trail would certainly benefit. It would take pressure off the other trails.
How might this happen?
It's not going to be through some media blitz. I think it could happen because it becomes a trail one can follow without getting lost every day. Remember, tape is temporary, tape is temporary, tape is temporary.
This is only my opinion. Comments are always welcome. Without an organization to take the lead, or a handful of visionary hikers, nothing will happen.