[Cdt-l] cache box's bootheel

PeekTrekker4 at aol.com PeekTrekker4 at aol.com
Mon Mar 19 10:38:36 CDT 2012

There are 5 cache boxes on the route from Crazy  Cook to Lordsburg:;from S
to N: #1 is just off the dirt  road to Crazy Cook, about halfway down the
unpaved road, at Sheridan Cyn;  #2 is near the NM-81 crossing; #3 is near the
NM-9 crossing; #4 is near the NM-113 crossing; and  #5 is at unpaved Animas
Rd going into Lordsburg.
    In '10 Sam Hughes was keeping a 6-gl, blue, plastic  jug in Caches 1-3;
he's probably still doing that, but I don't  know for sure. Don't expect
him to drive you to 3-5 without  offering him extra $; they are all out of his
way, off to well off the direct  route to CC. And don't gripe about the
$100 to drive you to CC; it's 6 hours of  his time, gas, & beating his vehicle
up on 60 miles of rough road;  tip him on top of that!
    I wonder what will happen when Sam can't do this  anymore. For future
hikers I hope someone in Hachita picks up being an Angel;  however, there are
only a handful of people in Hachita, so the CC Route may  suddenly get 30
miles longer.
    Maybe the Border Patrol will pick up the slack!  When I drove Tika &
San Gabriel from ADZPCTKO to CC in '09, 1 BP Agent in 1  vehicle showed up for
2 hiker vehicles and 5 hikers. When Sam drove me down  in '10, 8 BP Agents
in 5 vehicles showed up for 1 vehicle and 1 hiker; I guess  the Aliens from
the NM UFOs were having a slow day. In '10 when I walked away  from the
large gathering that came to see me off, all by myself, I said, "I  appreciate
all'a y'all coming to my going away party at taxpayer expense."

    I'm off to the southern 3/8 of the AZT with Loon  beginning 5 Apr. In
this average to below average snow year, finally, I  hope to continue
southbound on the CDT from Lincoln MT/Stemple Pass in  mid-May, and then finish the
PCT from Trout Lake WA to Canada in Aug. Loon  may join me for some of the
CDT. He knows a lot of hikers; we walked into  a Whole Foods in Albuquerque
last summer, and working a register was  Pigpen, whom Loon had met on the
PCT. They immediately called each other by  trail name.

Trekker