[Cdt-l] Cdt-l Digest, Vol 56, Issue 4

Wingnut wingnut.hiker at gmail.com
Tue May 1 21:54:42 CDT 2012


Pissing on Sam is the last straw.

Blister is more concerned about how much every little thing costs than
anything else.  

I figure the reason he had to pay so much to go to CC is because nobody
wanted to ride in the same car with him. 

Wingnut

-----Original Message-----
From: cdt-l-bounces at backcountry.net [mailto:cdt-l-bounces at backcountry.net]
On Behalf Of Ellie Thomas
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 7:24 PM
To: cdt-l at backcountry.net
Cc: cdt-l at backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [Cdt-l] Cdt-l Digest, Vol 56, Issue 4

Sam is great, and I would pay the same amount to get to crazy cook again in
a heart beat.  It also appears Blister just reported the facts, and was not
passing judgement on Sam or the cost.  It was what it was.  It was just not
reported to Blister accurately.

We are a small enough community.  Let's just all get along :-).

On May 1, 2012, at 6:12 PM, cdt-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Send Cdt-l mailing list submissions to
>    cdt-l at backcountry.net
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>    http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>    cdt-l-request at backcountry.net
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>    cdt-l-owner at backcountry.net
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific 
> than "Re: Contents of Cdt-l digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>   1. Re: Fwd:  Sam Hughes (ks1007 at aol.com)
>   2. Great Divide Trail mapset available (Benjamin Mayberry)
>   3. Re: Sam Hughes (Bob Bankhead)
>   4. Re: Fwd: Sam Hughes (ron guay)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 20:05:13 -0400 (EDT)
> From: ks1007 at aol.com
> Subject: Re: [Cdt-l] Fwd:  Sam Hughes
> To: wingnut.hiker at gmail.com, cdt-l at backcountry.net
> Message-ID: <8CEF60E618DE85A-235C-23F24 at Webmail-d110.sysops.aol.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> 
> 
> you see it as shameless self promotion - I see it as letting the 
> hikers know what's available - you must be a friend of yogi's (I'm 
> sorry) - your name says it all - shouldn't it be "nut case"? - thank 
> god I never met you
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Keith and Mary
> Trail Angels
> Deming, NM
> 
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Wingnut <wingnut.hiker at gmail.com>
> To: ks1007 <ks1007 at aol.com>; cdt-l <cdt-l at backcountry.net>
> Sent: Tue, May 1, 2012 12:10 pm
> Subject: RE: [Cdt-l] Fwd: Sam Hughes
> 
> 
> 
> Jeez?.
> 
> Let?s see, now.  He picked you up in Deming, which added over  100 miles
to the trip, then took you to another 45 miles over Jeep roads to the
border.  Plus another 30 miles or so to cache your water for you.  It cost
you more than the $100 price than if you had just gone to Hachita in the
first place.  You poor thing.   
> 
> Sam Hughes is a saint in my book for what he does.  Especially when you
consider how ungrateful certain people are. 
> 
> Nice of Keith to step right in and turn it into a shameless self
promotion.   Beginning to understand Yogi?s point. 
> 
> People who want to hike the actual CDT will go to Crazy Cook. 
> 
> 
> Wingnut
> 
> 
> From: cdt-l-bounces at backcountry.net 
> [mailto:cdt-l-bounces at backcountry.net] On Behalf Of ks1007 at aol.com
> Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 11:10 AM
> To: cdt-l at backcountry.net
> Subject: [Cdt-l] Fwd: Sam Hughes
> 
> 
> or $25 to me with a water cache and description of the trail and I 
> deal with customs and the BP
> 
> 
> 
> Keith and Mary
> 
> Trail Angels
> 
> Deming, NM
> 
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: ron guay <ron.a.guay2 at gmail.com>
> To: Designer Aviaries <birdcage at 7cities.net>
> Cc: cdt-l <cdt-l at backcountry.net>
> Sent: Tue, May 1, 2012 10:34 am
> Subject: Re: [Cdt-l] Sam Hughes
> 
> The $160 cost to Crazy Cook as a solo male hiker was all I could
afford..that and a 1qt of chocalate milk for Sam.  Given the documented $100
cost (and a phone conversation)...I was shocked.  It was completely
unexpected but after getting to Crazy Cook from Deming and seeing how my
first three water sources were Sam caches...I became indifferent.
> 
> Future hikers need this information so they can plan appropriately.  $160
to the official strarting point (nice new monument by the way) or <$5 to
Columbus.
> 
> Blister
> AT - 2006
> PCT - 2011
> 
> On Apr 26, 2012 1:13 PM, "Designer Aviaries" <birdcage at 7cities.net> wrote:
> 
> As trail angels in Grants, we understand the costs involved in water 
> caches and supporting the hikers. It would be a wonderful gesture to 
> send Sam some help as he has done so much to support the trail. Let's 
> make some "trail magic" for Sam, we are. Hugo and Carole in Grants NM
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Cdt-l mailing list
> Cdt-l at backcountry.net
> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Cdt-l mailing list
> Cdt-l at backcountry.net
> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l
> 
> 
> -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was 
> scrubbed...
> URL: 
> http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/cdt-l/attachments/20120501/81
> bc7ab5/attachment-0001.html
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 17:30:14 -0700
> From: Benjamin Mayberry <benmayberry at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Cdt-l] Great Divide Trail mapset available
> To: cdt-l <cdt-l at backcountry.net>
> Message-ID:
>    
> <CA+VVhc13Z2=+aQfKKgXrynR_=41BeTPtbdyrq8=wM2UXWeLdpQ at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> 
> Hi all,
> 
> I hiked the Great Divide
> Trail<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Divide_Trail> last year using 
> a mapset another hiker had previously created for his own thru-hike 
> and then sent to me. Along with the official guidebook, it got me 
> where I wanted to go but was still lacking in detail and supplementary 
> information that I would've liked. So I created my own mapset after 
> finishing my hike, using my observations along the way and a bit more 
> attention to detail than in the mapset I'd used. I've been meaning to 
> make it available to other hikers for some time, along with a 
> 'supplementary guidebook' (a la Yogi's guides or Skurka's HDT bundle), 
> but it hasn't been a high priority and ended up spending more time 
> hidden in a dusty corner of my hard drive than planned.
> 
> The point: the mapset itself is done and I'm making it available now 
> rather than wait until my original idea for a 'maps+supplementary info
package'
> comes together. You can view and download the maps here:
> https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7B7NcA_--UlOEpEVEFwZHcxSjg.
> 
> A few notes on format and map symbols:
> 
>   - It's organized to correspond with the official guidebook (very much a
>   still-necessary resource):
>   http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Canadas-Great-Divide-Trail/dp/0921102798.
>   Sections, segments, and mileage (kilometer-age?) align with the format
of
>   that book.
>   - Solid line = good trail. Think "national park" quality tread, ATV
>   trails, and roads.
>   - Dashed line = rough trail. Think use trails, pack trails, and
>   un-maintained or abandoned trails.
>   - Dotted line = cross country travel.
>   - Red line = 'official' route as described in guidebook.
>   - Purple line = alternate routes, some of which are described in the
>   guidebook and others which are not.
> 
> I've benefited greatly on my long hikes from mapsets developed by 
> other hikers - hopefully this GDT mapset will help (but in no way 
> guarantee success! *insert liability waiver*) some of you in hiking the
GDT.
> 
> --
> Ben Mayberry
> -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was 
> scrubbed...
> URL: 
> http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/cdt-l/attachments/20120501/1c
> cdb8b0/attachment-0001.html
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 17:48:31 -0700
> From: "Bob Bankhead" <wandering_bob at comcast.net>
> Subject: Re: [Cdt-l] Sam Hughes
> To: <cdt-l at backcountry.net>
> Message-ID: <000c01cd27fd$4bd79080$e386b180$@comcast.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> It costs Sam (or any other Trail Angel) the same to drive from point A 
> to point B with one or five in the vehicle. In this case, expect to 
> add in for the extra distance, and I don't mean the quart of chocolate
milk.
> 
> 
> 
> With five, each person pays 20%
> 
> With four, it's 25% @
> 
> With three, it's 33% @
> 
> With two, it's 50% @
> 
> So with only one, it's the whole enchilada, Baby.
> 
> 
> 
> You pays your money and you takes your choice.
> 
> The only free day was yesterday. Too bad you missed it.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was 
> scrubbed...
> URL: 
> http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/cdt-l/attachments/20120501/9b
> 30da3b/attachment-0001.html
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 20:12:10 -0500
> From: ron guay <ron.a.guay2 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Cdt-l] Fwd: Sam Hughes
> To: ks1007 at aol.com
> Cc: cdt-l at backcountry.net
> Message-ID:
>    
> <CAF0ch10LpHNWT9n1obazBFWgDhLm5tZW7M1wb7WL28Od-1y64Q at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="windows-1252"
> 
> As a hiker, and with no business to promote, I'm just giving the facts 
> as I experienced them.  Sam doesn't need anyone to stick up for him.  
> The market spoke.  It just would be nice to know ahead of 
> time...ie...this info and alternatives need to be 
> blogged/published...etc.  No one should have a monopoly on info.  Simple.
> 
> Blister
> AT - 2006
> PCT - 2011
> On May 1, 2012 6:05 PM, <ks1007 at aol.com> wrote:
> 
>> *you see it as shameless self promotion - I see it as letting the 
>> hikers know what's available - you must be a friend of yogi's (I'm 
>> sorry) - your name says it all - shouldn't it be "nut case"? - thank 
>> god I never met you
>> *
>> 
>> **
>> *Keith and Mary*
>> *Trail Angels*
>> *Deming, NM*
>> 
>> 
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Wingnut <wingnut.hiker at gmail.com>
>> To: ks1007 <ks1007 at aol.com>; cdt-l <cdt-l at backcountry.net>
>> Sent: Tue, May 1, 2012 12:10 pm
>> Subject: RE: [Cdt-l] Fwd: Sam Hughes
>> 
>> Jeez?.
>> 
>> Let?s see, now.  He picked you up in Deming, which added over  100 
>> miles to the trip, then took you to another 45 miles over Jeep roads 
>> to the border.  Plus another 30 miles or so to cache your water for 
>> you.  It cost you more than the $100 price than if you had just gone 
>> to Hachita in the first place.  You poor thing.
>> 
>> Sam Hughes is a saint in my book for what he does.  Especially when 
>> you consider how ungrateful certain people are.
>> 
>> Nice of Keith to step right in and turn it into a shameless self
>> promotion.   Beginning to understand Yogi?s point.
>> 
>> People who want to hike the actual CDT will go to Crazy Cook.
>> 
>> 
>> Wingnut
>> 
>> *From:* cdt-l-bounces at backcountry.net [ 
>> mailto:cdt-l-bounces at backcountry.net 
>> <cdt-l-bounces at backcountry.net?>] *On Behalf Of *ks1007 at aol.com
>> *Sent:* Tuesday, May 01, 2012 11:10 AM
>> *To:* cdt-l at backcountry.net
>> *Subject:* [Cdt-l] Fwd: Sam Hughes
>> 
>> *or $25 to me with a water cache and description of the trail and I 
>> deal with customs and the BP*
>> 
>> *Keith and Mary*
>> *Trail Angels*
>> *Deming, NM*
>> 
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: ron guay <ron.a.guay2 at gmail.com>
>> To: Designer Aviaries <birdcage at 7cities.net>
>> Cc: cdt-l <cdt-l at backcountry.net>
>> Sent: Tue, May 1, 2012 10:34 am
>> Subject: Re: [Cdt-l] Sam Hughes
>> The $160 cost to Crazy Cook as a solo male hiker was all I could 
>> afford..that and a 1qt of chocalate milk for Sam.  Given the 
>> documented
>> $100 cost (and a phone conversation)...I was shocked.  It was 
>> completely unexpected but after getting to Crazy Cook from Deming and 
>> seeing how my first three water sources were Sam caches...I became
indifferent.
>> Future hikers need this information so they can plan appropriately.
>> $160 to the official strarting point (nice new monument by the way) 
>> or <$5 to Columbus.
>> Blister
>> AT - 2006
>> PCT - 2011
>> On Apr 26, 2012 1:13 PM, "Designer Aviaries" <birdcage at 7cities.net>
>> wrote:
>> As trail angels in Grants, we understand the costs involved in water 
>> caches and supporting the hikers. It would be a wonderful gesture to 
>> send Sam some help as he has done so much to support the trail. Let's 
>> make some "trail magic" for Sam, we are. Hugo and Carole in Grants NM
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> Cdt-l mailing list
>> Cdt-l at backcountry.net
>> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> 
>> Cdt-l mailing list
>> 
>> Cdt-l at backcountry.net
>> 
>> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l
>> 
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> Cdt-l mailing list
>> Cdt-l at backcountry.net
>> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l
>> 
>> 
> -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was 
> scrubbed...
> URL: 
> http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/cdt-l/attachments/20120501/87
> 867c5d/attachment.html
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Cdt-l mailing list
> Cdt-l at backcountry.net
> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l
> 
> 
> End of Cdt-l Digest, Vol 56, Issue 4
> ************************************
_______________________________________________
Cdt-l mailing list
Cdt-l at backcountry.net
http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l




More information about the Cdt-l mailing list