[Cdt-l] alcohol stoves

Brett blisterfree at yahoo.com
Mon May 21 01:37:08 CDT 2012

Probably the biggest risk with an alcohol stove is from downdrafted heat and flame, which can happen whenever the flame isn't getting enough oxygen, eg from a too-tight windscreen, esp. at altitude. I've even seen scorched duff underneath an aluminum foil base in very dry conditions. A fire could conceivably start hours or even days after leaving a cook site if the hiker didn't take care to treat the site with the same respect as one would a campfire, feel the ground for any hot spots, stir and drown, etc. That said, I can't imagine any of us overtly starting a fire with a "runaway" alcohol stove, given water at hand for cooking (and quickly dousing) and boots available for stamping out spot fires.

Alcohol stoves don't start wildfires. People do (no one on this list, we trust). And there are a million ways to be an idiot without having to scapegoat any one means of choice.

- blisterfree