[Cdt-l] MT smowpack Stemple to Anaconda?

bcss at bresnan.net bcss at bresnan.net
Mon May 21 11:34:47 CDT 2012

There are hillsides in the Anaconda-Pintler which hold snow late.  (Probably
past June even in a dry year)  The choke points are above lower Seymour
lake, (getting up to Goat Flats) and the stretch from Rainbow Lake to
Pintler Pass.  When we went last August we had no problems, but some hikers
in the early season got turned back above Seymour.  That part would be
sketchy with a lot of snow - steep hillside and considerable exposure.
Might be a good place for an ice ax and minis.  (That is where the cover
photo on the MT Mapbook was taken.)

Seems like you could get some fresh info from the FS when you get to Butte.

Big Hole to Berry Meadows holds snow late. We postholed some high spots but
no real problems. (also last August)   If you have snow issues in the
Pintlers you should expect them there as well. That's a nice hike in
gorgeous terrain.

best wishes,

Jerry Brown

mailto:bcss at bresnan.net