[Cdt-l] MT smowpack Stemple to Anaconda?

Jeff Braun jbraun at vizsolutions.com
Tue May 22 00:59:11 CDT 2012

Generally the conditions look pretty good until you hit the PIntlers. A few
high spots will still have snow.

in the Helena area, the Nevada Ridge snotel at 7000' still shows a little
snow, so you will encounter some snow over Nevada and Black Mtn northwest
of Helena. Having hiked the CDT south of Helena in early June 2002 (less
snow than 2012, but slower to melt by a week or two), I would guess you
will find some snow over Thunderbolt. (Rocker Peak snotel at 8000' still
shows some snow.)

The Pintlers are still pretty white and the Peterson Meadow snotel at 7200'
near Storm Lake just melted out about 5 days ago. I expect snow will still
be significant above 8000' for a few weeks. The snow melt has slowed down
and the forecast is for cool wet weather over the next week.

I can tell you the CDT has been free of snow around Butte for a couple of
weeks.  I expect it is clear of snow from Champion Pass to I-15 SW of
Butte. Onward to the west from there, the snowline on Mt Fleecer looks like
~8200' and there is still snow on the top of Burnt Mtn.

Jeff