[Cdt-l] fires in the gila's

Kristina Sullivan kristina.roback at hotmail.com
Tue May 29 20:33:44 CDT 2012

We woke up in smoke this morning in the GIla Canyon south of Doc's. At Doc's we ran in to fire fighters who said that the fire is now 152000 acres and still 0% contained. We were planning on hiking the east fork up to FR150 and then catch the CDT up north, but since the CDT makes a sharp turn west to go around the Plains of San Augustine it will put hikers in a questionable area. It's not closed yet but the fire and the smoke is constantly heading north east. It was not pleasant to hike in smoke and we were only in inversion and not really thick smoke.. So that, in combination to that we don't have any way to communicate and know how the fire is moving when we're out there, made us decide to go around to Pie Town by other means then foot... sad decision.. But the people at Doc's said that the Gila is nice in October too so we'll have to jump back then.

Best Wishes
Kristina and Redbull