[Cdt-l] gps with maps question

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 21:04:31 CST 2012

I just picked up an etrex 20 a week ago- seems pretty easy to use so far.
Don't go buying maps just yet check out this link

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/all

Free maps of the CDT states are available.  I haven't loaded anything but
the Arizona topos into my gps yet because I am heading out on the AZT for a
couple of days next week - but they look fine to me.  After Thanksgiving
I'll have some time to play around with the GPS a bit more but it seems
easy enough.   It has a 'where to?' function that looks like it would work
great with the compass rose functions on the Ley maps.   For me I mainly
just want to be able to pick out my location on the Ley maps.

Bearcreek has a gps track of the "official CDT" that you can get from the
web.
The CDT will be the first trail I am using a GPS on.  In a way I feel a bit
like I wimped out - succumbing to the "Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My"
fear mongering mentality but then again like Dan'l Boone - I've been know
to be confused for a few days at a time.

Day-Late