[Cdt-l] gps with maps

Josie josie1066 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 20:06:47 CST 2012

In answer to your question about the Ley maps: my husband and I have used the Ley maps with the compass rose, gps and compass from Canada to Colorado so far, exclusively. We never seem to have the time (or feel the need) to download the way points. We get lost from time to time and then we get un-lost, and we just go on. We’ve had a lot of fun as well as frustration. This year we met a hiker who was navigating by the waypoints on his GPS. It was clearly faster and easier etc. and my husband was thinking that next year he might try the waypoints, but maybe not. We’re not in any hurry! I’ll join you in thanking Jonathan Ley and everyone who has contributed to the collective info on the CDT.--Jo

[Cdt-l] gps with maps question

Frank Gilliland frankgilliland at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 13:37:09 CST 2012

Just a couple of thoughts about the free topo maps from gpsfiledepot.  I have used them in the field, and I did not see any problems for the few times I referred to them.  But, I have not used them exclusively.
I just found the Garmin 100k maps to be easier to load and view on the small screen of the gps.  The disk package is about $100.  I don't suggest getting the pr-loaded SD card maps from Garmin.
I would like to hear from anyone who used the free maps for any length of time in the field.
I tried the Ley Compass rose in the field and found it to be a fun exercise in the operation of the gps unit, but I found it to be sort of not necessary once you loaded the waypoint (or POI) files and the track files.  If I was only slightly "temporaily misplaced" then what I did was walk toward the nearest waypoint.  If I was way off, then I may have used the "Where to" feature.  But, once again I would plug in the nearest waypoint and just walk in that direction. The Ley points are REALLY handy as a point of reference to know what map you are on.  Same goes for the new Bear Creek maps.  One quick look at the closest waypoint and bam, you have a reference to the map.  Really handy when the wind is blowing 40 miles per hour in a lightning and hail storm on a bald peak while holding two metal sticks in your hands.
I am, as many of you know a "tech head", a gps nerd, a "data collector" a full fledged trail technoid wonk.  I even took my gps and iPhone with me on the AT.  I found the iPhone gps function really handy when looking up the nearest pizza delivery at road crossings. The Google map search and town info was great. Wish there was Pizza Delivery on the CDT.
I really enjoy noting and waypoint marking new features discovered on the trail, I also mark waypoints of interesting sites, water and my camps.  It is fun revisiting my hike on Google Earth when I get home after downloading my data and having location data makes sorting my photos easier as well.
I ALWAYS take and promote the use of maps, guides and a compass as the "first" source of navigation.  But, boy is having up to date and accurate location info really handy.  When you hike solo as I do, being really, really, really lost is a total pain.  Having a digital "second opinion" is really handy.  I like getting home safe to plan my next hike.  My wife likes it when I come home too.
True that.

I really got a kick out of the Daniel Boone quote.  My only long trail - full time hiking "partner" was a direct descendant of Daniel Boone (His last name was actually Boone) trail name: Grizzly.   He made for some of the funnest hiking events and memories I will ever have.
I would really once again like to thank Jonathan Ley, Jim Wolf, Jerry Brown, Yogi and "Out of Order" (and all others) for keeping us "found" on the CDT.

StarMan
https://sites.google.com/site/frankgilliland/