[Cdt-l] One of the four Older men

Jack Richardson jacktrichardson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 20:40:00 CST 2012

As one of the four older men Keith mentioned I thought I would voice my support of Keith and Mary. Our group of four older men stayed with them before Keith drove us to the border in 2010. They provided me help when I arrived back at their home from the border with physical problems.

They went out of their way to comfort me and get me help. There is no way I can repay their kindness.

Much has been said of complaints. Having done the AT and 2/3 of the PCT (and 3 days of the CDT) I feel that trail angels are often maligned for not being what some hikers want them to be. Trail angels open their homes to strangers. Some hikers complain that their homes are what they expected or want. Some hikers complain that donation jars are in sight. I never was pressured to donate but did so because I appreciate the support.

As others have pointed out it costs a lot of money to be a trail angel out west. I remember a gentleman that gave my wife and I a 60 miles out of his way car ride when the wife was injured. No money accepted. Just please do the same for others if they need it. Keith does not do trail angel work for the money but to help us hikers.

Thank you Keith and Mary!

My 2 cents,

Tumbleweed