[Cdt-l] Tent

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 22:16:04 CST 2012

I heartily agree.  I used the Z Packs, Double Hexamid with beak and inside
groundcloth (both of which I recommend) this summer on my CDT hike and
loved it.  It stood up to some 60 to 80 mile per hour storms and for four
and a half months of hiking, never broke, tore or was blown down.  I never
even had a stake pop out, but of course, weighted them with rocks when a
storm was approaching, or tied to trees when I could.  I never got wet in
there.  Just at dusk we pitched on the shores of a small reservoir in the
Great Divide Basin just in time for a complete 180 degree wind shift and a
terrific thunder storm.  By pulling up the inside bathtub groundcloth into
the door, which was now straight into ferocious wind and driving rain with
not a bit of shelter from trees or brush, I stayed completely dry.

With beak, groundcloth and stent stakes it's still under a pound.   It was
only a couple of ounces heavier than the single but those several ounces
bought me a palace for a long hike and several times I shared it with
another and it was perfectly big enough for two.  One great tent.  Joe's
got a winner here.

Shroomer