[Cdt-l] storms and A& M Reservoir

Josie josie1066 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 09:18:39 CST 2012

Just curious-- you guys must be talking about A&M Reservoir in the Red Desert--that’s the only body of water I know of in the Great Divide Basin. We had the exact same experience this summer--sitting there putting a meal together and then in dropped a squall of epic proportions-- we barely got our ancient shires Cloudburst tent up before all hell broke loose (the tent did fine). We had to chase our possessions all over the place because the wind came up fast and hard, we didn’t know what hit us. The temperature dropped from about 95 to 60 degrees in a matter of minutes--amazing. Can’t wait to go back......

jo

Thank you Shroomer for the reminder.

As I sit here working in front of this computer, I'd give just about
anything to be with good friends back at that reservoir, huddled in my
tent that was only partially pitched because the storm came up before I
could finish, holding on to the poles to keep it erect, waiting for the
winds to stop so I could re-pitch the tent and more importantly cook
that long awaited evening meal. I agree 100% with Shroomer, the CDT was
one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.  Now I guess I should
where I am most at home.

-- Boat
Just at dusk we pitched on the shores of a small reservoir in the
Great Divide Basin just in time for a complete 180 degree wind shift and a
terrific thunder storm.  By pulling up the inside bathtub groundcloth into
the door, which was now straight into ferocious wind and driving rain with
not a bit of shelter from trees or brush, I stayed completely dry.
With beak, groundcloth and stent stakes it's still under a pound.   It was
only a couple of ounces heavier than the single but those several ounces
bought me a palace for a long hike and several times I shared it with
another and it was perfectly big enough for two.  One great tent.  Joe's
got a winner here.

Shroomer