[Cdt-l] Help create a unique time lapse of the CDT

Brett blisterfree at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 20 18:30:38 CDT 2012

This sort of thing is always neat to behold from an entertainment perspective; not sure how genuinely beneficial it'd be for future hikers, though it might be motivational!

One shot every 10 seconds would be way overkill, though. I might suggest one shot for every hour of hiking, which might net you 80-100 stills per week. After the hike, edit each week's images to fit a timespan of a minute's worth of video, yielding a full video length of perhaps 15-20 minutes. I can't imagine being able to stomach much more than that, given the quick cuts between each shot. Nor could I imagine being able to sit through a slower movie than ran for much longer than that, at least while only staring at fleeting images without narration or some other form of stimulation.

Even at one image per hour of hiking, don't underestimate the extra determination and logistics it'd take to keep that up over the course of 4 or 5 months of walking, even if the process were largely automated. On the CDT, the walk itself is plenty challenging in its own right.

All that said, it would be neat to see such a project for each of the triple crown trails. So good luck bringing it to fruition on the CDT with the support of the community.

Brett