[Cdt-l] cell phones

Bob Sartini bobsartini at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 15:43:07 CDT 2012

I carry a phone. I keep it off unless I need to use it to arrange a ride
and maybe occasionally let my wife know I am still living. I doubt any long
distance hiker would keep a phone on to take random calls and end up with
no battery power.

Unless you're in an area with many day hikers I think the incidence of
ringing cell phones in the wilderness is exaggerated to the extreme. Far
rarer than grizzly sightings and on a par with big foot apearances.

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 4:32 PM, thomas hogeboom <thogeboom at fairpoint.net>wrote:

> I knew it was inevitable that someday I would hear a phone ringing out on
> the CDT, and sure enough I did hear one ring in the Colorado Rockies in
> the summer of 2011. It was off-putting and unwelcome. Some of us like to
> tune in to the sights and sounds of the wilderness. Phones ringing and
> people jibbering into them is part of what I go out there to get away
> from.
>
> I would respectfully ask hikers who insist on carrying cell phones to
> simply switch the ring to vibrate. Thanks in advance for considering
> others!

Everything is in Walking Distance