[Cdt-l] cell phones

Pete E. Michelinie michelinie at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 11:45:14 CDT 2012

I still vote for no cell phone on a long hike.  I know this is not what
this discussion is about, but I'm hi-jacking it for a moment to send out my
thoughts.  The CDT is completely doable without a phone and you can get in
touch with people via payphones about every week or more.  I spent $40 on a
phone card (pindance.com) and it got me through the entire trip, calling
from each town stop.  If you feel the need to have an emergency out then
get a Spot.  Cell phones aren't reliable enough for this.

Also, while I'm nay-saying things I would love to say that GPS' are totally
unneccesary as well.  This trail is so do-able with Ley's maps and a
compass.  I had Yogi's older edition planning guide when I was getting
ready and it had a few (Savant in particular) people who said they didn't
use a GPS and loved it.  That gave me the motivation to be able to attept
it without, but her updated planning guide doesn't shine light on that
opinion nearly as much.  I only met three other hikers without a GPS this
past year.

Ok, kyboshing is over now.  Back to work.

Furniture