[Cdt-l] New Mexico Mapping Report and Trail Changes

bcss at bresnan.net bcss at bresnan.net
Tue Sep 4 14:07:00 CDT 2012

It IS a bit unclear where to get started due to lack of markings on the
roads.  Heading north, the new trail turns off of the road before the lower
campground and  just before the forest service cabin. (Waypoint 31_008) The
trail goes between the lakes (31_009), to the upper CG and passes through
the highest campsite (31_012).  Once past the CG it is easy to follow.
There is a gps waypoint for a gate 1000' north (31_014).  The trail is
adequately marked once you get on it.

I made 12 waypoints for that piece.  Southbound would be hard without a gps.
The trail stops 500 feet short of the road near Brazos Ridge.  I put a gps
point on the road where you turn off, and another where the trail begins.
(31_051 and 31_050)  There is no marker, cairn, or anything else at the
road.  Hikers will have to navigate 500' to get on it.  If you miss it, then
you will see the trail where it crosses the road 1.3 miles further down
(31_038).  It's not marked, but is obvious.   Just take a left and it will
lead you to the CG.

My guess is that after all the navigation challenges people typically have
on the CDT that this won't seem that tough.

This, and all the other changes described in my previous post will be
clearly shown in the new Mapbooks due out in November.

best wishes,

Jerry Brown

 <mailto:bcss at bresnan.net> mailto:bcss at bresnan.net

www.bearcreeksurvey.com