[Cdt-l] New Mexico Mapping Report and Trail Changes

Brett blisterfree at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 5 12:15:13 CDT 2012

For non-GPS users, it's still possible to benefit from waypoints, but especially from tracks, by importing them into mapping software, in order to overlay them on the topos, then printing and carrying these maps (or at least those maps that might augment Jonathan Ley's maps in areas where new trail is in the works and so forth). In this way, you're not using the overt coordinate data, but you can see it on the maps and use it along with the other map features to aid navigation. Obviously tracks are superior to waypoints in this regard, since you get to see a continuous route line rather than just connect-the-dots. (Waypoints may be superior to tracks for GPS users in some cases, like when you're trying to navigate to a particular location / point-of-interest. Ideally, you'd have both on a map, with occasional waypoints, relegated to the role of POI / data book locations.)

Brett