[Cdt-l] full circle on the Northern New Mexico Loop

Brett blisterfree at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 20:19:10 CDT 2012

CDT'ers looking for an excuse to revisit some familiar stomping grounds, and also explore lots of new territory in one of the more geographically and culturally diverse parts of the Rocky Mountain region, might be interested in this route:

http://blisterfree.wordpress.com/category/northern-new-mexico-loop-2/

"Among the highlights, I got to explore the wonders of Bandelier National Monument and the fascinating diversity of the Jemez region, to finally complete (after 9 years away) the CDT in New Mexico, and to dive feet-first into an ocean of unknown depths, as I crossed volcano-dotted plains and the Rio Grande Gorge (bringing the river fording count to two). I walked nearly the full length of New Mexico’s Sangre de Cristo Mountains, climbed Wheeler Peak – the state’s highest – and traveled for weeks among boreal forests, flowing “ritos” and wildflower meadows somehow thriving just above the troublesome zones of heat and drought. A 500 mile oasis in the desert indeed this was! And the loop motif was  arguably the only way to make it happen, at least down here in this region, at this time of year, and in this era of unpredictable climate conditions."

- blisterfree