[Cdt-l] CDT Monument vandalized

Teresa Martinez tamartinez2003 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 14:57:58 CDT 2013

Sam is correct about the picnic table.  I'm not sure if he also mentioned
they could see where it was dragged across the US Boarder fence.  The table
weighed almost one ton (benches and table) and was made of concrete.  But
since then nothing else had happened to the site, until now.

For complete background, the entire site was a collaborative effort between
the USFS, BLM, the State of New Mexico and the former CDTA. Once the new
route was established, funds provided by all entities and volunteer labor
coordinated and provided by CDTA helped establish this monument which sits
almost exactly 80 feet from the border, and just outside the Roosevelt
Easement.  The work was done with consultation from the local Hachita
community, and one of the local land owners helped by actually installing
the monument as part of the collaborative effort. The entire site was
designed with input from Border patrol because they had specification as to
what could or could not be there for security purposes. For example, any
structures had to be narrow so as not to shield anyone from line of sight.
So in designing the shade structure, we initially hoped to have brick
footers around the base where one might place a pack or sit upon, but this
was nixed due to potential to be used to shield someone from sight or they
could hide behind in an altercation.

The monument itself was designed to consider the monument at the Northern
terminus, but also  to reflect something worthy of a National Scenic Trail
and unique for this terminus.  We surveyed local residents, CDTA members
and volunteers, agencies (including border patrol) as to the design and
tried to incorporate desires with in the constraints we had to work with.
We also knew that something like the obolisk being knocked over might
happen, which is why we designed it the way we did.  We designed it to be
easy to right if needed, and if we had to replace it, it could be done.  We
at one point considered having a second one made just in case, but we
didn't have the funds to do it. In installation, the base is sunk in alot
of concrete so heavy equipment would be required to unearth it, and we also
figured the weight alone would deter most people from attempting to haul it
off, at least on the US side.  The whole obolisk weighs 3-4 tons, but
that's both the base and actual obolisk together.

Good News is the BLM should have it back up soon and hopefully it will stay
up for some time!

Teresa Martinez
Continental Divide Trail Coalition

--

*

About Risk – Jeep Gaskin

“49, 3 kids, all of whom climb. in fact we're going sunday. I'm going to
die and so are you. so are my kids. in the perfect world I'll die before
they do, but there aren't any guarantees. so I prepare them for life the
best way I know how, doing the things that prepared me to massage my
mother’s feet and tell her not to be scared, that it was her time to go.
and that made it possible to kiss my dad one last time and tell him I loved
him, and walk away. if you have depth to your soul and insights into life's
lessons and you didn't get them from risk  then congratulations but I can't
relate. climbing can be deltoids or it can be zen; it can be runout or
short safe falls; it can be skies filled with lightning or crisp air ahead
of mare's tails. It is never standing in a grocery line.”
*