[Cdt-l] Bootheel Beach

Brett blisterfree at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 17 01:17:19 CDT 2013

I would maintain that it's nearly impossible to actually bathe in a stock pond, as most of them are about an inch or two deep and lined with quicksand. Then again, who would have suspected a 2-ton cement picnic table could suddenly vanish from the Chihuahuan desert? Anything is possible in the New Mexican borderlands.

Still, a metal trough would be another thing, where one can take a proper cleansing skinny-dip and run the float valve afterward for a good rinse. The feeling of refreshment can last for hours.

Seriously, though, sometimes hikers have to wade out into a pond maybe ankle-deep in order to collect from it, of course leaving suspicious-looking boot tracks in and out. Other times we might try scooching out onto a partially-submerged log to avoid the sucking mud, only to lose balance and fall in. I can only imagine what a rancher would think if he happened to drive up just then. Laughing and crying often look very similar from a distance.

- blisterfree