[Cdt-l] southbound start date

Jim and_or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 17 09:25:00 CDT 2013

When we thruhiked in 1999, it was a very high snow year (about 180%).  We started at Warm Springs May 30, heading north.   We ran into snow on the trail until about the 1st of July, but it wasn't completely covered.  Up on the ridges, the trail was often swept completely clear.  Below 7000', the trail was clear.  By June 15, there was even more clear trail, but some places (like the passes in the Bob and Glacier) had significant snow cover.  Since we were there during snowmelt, some of the river crossings were pretty hairy.  It's a good idea to carry the National Forest maps in case you need to select an alternate lower route or one with fewer river crossings.
If interested, see:  http://spiriteaglehome.com/cdt99.html
 GinnyFrom: laurenmoran15 at hotmail.com