[Cdt-l] Chain of Craters route

Charlie Thorpe charliethorpe at att.net
Thu Dec 12 13:35:59 CST 2013

Hello All -

I am guessing that Jim hiked the Chain of Craters route since he lost those particular maps from his NM book <g>.  I hiked the other side of the lava fields (Ley alternate) when I did that section this fall and enjoyed the hike, rain and all.

I later drove north to south on the road that goes along (on and near) the Chain of Craters route and was curious if I could find any water along the way.  It turns out that there is a modern obviously lived-in ranch place about halfway down the road that might turn into a useful water option (saw nobody around, didn't stop to talk) by doing a loop east off the trail to the road and back.

Jim, it looked like the Chain of Craters route would be a nice hike - I am wondering how you worked your water.

BTW, I was driving a C-Max and came close a few times to not making it back to hardtop.   I didn't stop to check water quantity/quality at the windmill a few miles from the south end of the road because thunderstorms were all around me.  If one had come over to add to the mud that I was already slithering through I would probably still be there…

- Charlie