[Cdt-l] Q RE Zpaks tents

JD Schaefer jdrows at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 03:06:41 CST 2013

I'll be using the ZPacks Hexamid Zero+ on the NM portion this year.  The
Zero+ has the same footprint as the Double, the difference is the rear of
the tent is elevated so that a second person, the one sleeping closest to
the rear isn't overly close to the roof.  I used it in RoMo last September
and was delighted, especially at the weight when I was climbing elevations
not found in the North Carolina Piedmont and had the extra weight of a bear
canister.  I still have the TT Squall II I bought from Henry back in '02 to
do the JMT and others, and that has (including airline mistakes) seen more
countries than I have.  It was an early model that didn't have a zipper at
the bottom of the front netting so it doesn't see much use anymore.  Too
bad as we've seen some beautiful sights together.

Including stakes, guy lines, stuff sack and a tiny flashlight attached to
the rainbow opening zipper, I'm right at 16.1-oz.  To keep a comparable
size and get anything lighter will no doubt be, as Mags says, expensive.
JD
Raleigh