[Cdt-l] First to hike the CDT

Bob bobandshell97 at verizon.net
Sat Feb 2 09:01:07 CST 2013

I tried to research who hiked the "CDT" first a year or so ago.  I wrote to
Ryback, asking if he knew of anyone who had hiked it before him and got no
response.  In talking to Jim Wolf, I found he has no concrete reference to
the "first."  He did point me to - and I talked with - the probable first
section hiker to complete the trail:  Les Scharnberg (now Rabbi Scharnberg).
He started in March 1975, took 3 weeks off at Silver City.  Started again
there and hiked to RMNP, where winter stopped him in December (1975).  In
March 1976 he picked up again at RMNP and hiked to Waterton.  That's as far
as I got with the issue.

Bob Ellinwood