[Cdt-l] Cdt-l Digest, Vol 65, Issue 14

Ellie Thomas sidselliott at aol.com
Tue Feb 12 12:26:50 CST 2013


Absolutely.....here, here!

Ellie Thomas
203-722-4117

On Feb 12, 2013, at 1:12 PM, cdt-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Send Cdt-l mailing list submissions to
>    cdt-l at backcountry.net
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>    http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>    cdt-l-request at backcountry.net
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>    cdt-l-owner at backcountry.net
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Cdt-l digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>   1. Re: waypoints Sam Huges water Caches? (Trekker4 at aol.com)
>   2. Re: waypoints Sam Huges water Caches? (Junaid Dawud)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 13:00:39 -0500 (EST)
> From: Trekker4 at aol.com
> Subject: Re: [Cdt-l] waypoints Sam Huges water Caches?
> To: cdt-l at backcountry.net
> Message-ID: <4b7a.4e034a9.3e4bdd47 at aol.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> 
> Once again, lets have a standing ovation for all Jerry Brown does  for the 
> CDT!
> 
> Bob  "Trekker" Brewer
> Naturalized Citizen - Republic of Texas
> 
> 
> In a message dated 2/11/2013 7:23:13 P.M. Central Standard Time,  
> bcss at bresnan.net writes:
> 
> 
> One of the big goals of the  CDT is to be non-motorized.  That is why the 
> new route was developed ? to  put hikers on trail instead of road.   Good 
> news is that the route  will eventually include new trail from near Omega 
> connecting to Pietown, so  that town will always be part of the trail.  I have 
> done both the new  trail and the road walk and the new trail is definitely 
> nicer.  If I were  doing the trail for the first time I think I would hike to 
> Omega then follow  the highway to Pietown.   There is new trail planned from 
> Pietown to  the Malpais that will be spectacular.    
> 
> best  wishes, 
> Jerry  Brown 
> (970)  403-3527    Cell: (970) 749-0496 
> _mailto:bcss at bresnan.net_ (mailto:bcss at bresnan.net)  
> _www.bearcreeksurvey.com_ (mip://093ca520/www.bearcreeksurvey.com) 
> 
> 
> From: Doug Carlson  [mailto:doug-sue at centurylink.net] 
> Sent: Monday, February 11, 2013  5:54 PM
> To: Cdt-l at backcountry.net
> Cc:  bcss at bresnan.net
> Subject: RE: [Cdt-l] waypoints Sam Huges water  Caches?
> 
> Jerry, your  reference to  the bearcreek maps and waypoints are a big help. 
> Those waypoints should get me  to Silver City with no problem.   
>> From there I want to go up  through the heart of the Gila Wilderness via 
> Doc Campbells and on to Pie  Town.  I can't imagine the official route moving 
> away from Pie Town  unless there was a really really good reason.  I have 
> looked forward to  carrying a pack into Pie Town and eating pie for a long 
> time.    
> I am feeling more  confident  about this trip all the time.   
> Side note:  with new  gear, maps, food, mailing, travel, a long hike isn't 
> cheap.  Can't wait  to get going. 
> -Trew 
> 
> 
> From: _cdt-l-bounces at backcountry.net_ 
> (mailto:cdt-l-bounces at backcountry.net)   [_mailto:cdt-l-bounces at backcountry.net_ 
> (mailto:cdt-l-bounces at backcountry.net) ]  On Behalf Of _bcss at bresnan.net_ (mailto:bcss at bresnan.net) 
> Sent: Monday,  February 11, 2013 1:10 PM
> To: _Cdt-l at backcountry.net_ (mailto:Cdt-l at backcountry.net) 
> Subject:  Re: [Cdt-l] waypoints Sam Huges water  Caches?
> 
> Trew, 
> Free waypoint files for the  entire CDT (which include the cache boxes) are 
> available here:  _www.bearcreeksurvey.com_ 
> (mip://093ca520/www.bearcreeksurvey.com)     
> Take the Waypoints  link on the main page and you will end up on a page 
> where you can download  them. They were all collected with professional grade 
> gps and are quite  accurate. There are 6972 waypoints in all for the entire 
> trail route, average  spacing a little over ? mile.  They only apply to the 
> official USFS/BLM  route for the CDNST so for the many possible alternate 
> hikes such as the Gila  River, Winds, or Anaconda cutoff they won?t help, but 
> most of the time you  will likely be on the official route.  I think Frank?s G
> ?s website may  have some helpful data for the alternates.  
> _https://www.sites.google.com/site/frankgilliland/cdt_ 
> (https://www.sites.google.com/site/frankgilliland/cdt)  
> The Mapbooks are spiral bound  collections of 1?=3000? scale hiker maps 
> that show the official route and all   of the waypoints with a high level of 
> accuracy. There is information about  them on the front page of the bearcreek 
> website.&   
> These are the Waypoint names  for the Water Boxes between Crazy Cook and 
> Lordsburg: 
> 01_137WT 
> 01_255WT 
> 02_194WT 
> 03_127WT 
> 04_198WT 
> There is a considerable amount  of water in there in addition to the boxes. 
> (Farm ponds and watering  tanks)  Any waypoint that ends in ?WT? is a 
> place we found water.  I  would suggest always carrying more than you 
> anticipate needing in there in  case one of them is dry or non functional.  If you 
> plan for 20 miles  between water sources you could do the entire thing just 
> using the cache  boxes.  
> best  wishes, 
> Jerry  Brown 
> _mailto:bcss at bresnan.net_ (mailto:bcss at bresnan.net)  
> _www.bearcreeksurvey.com_ (mip://093ca520/www.bearcreeksurvey.com)  
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Cdt-l  mailing  list
> Cdt-l at backcountry.net
> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l
> 
> 
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/cdt-l/attachments/20130212/d59f3bf5/attachment-0001.html 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 11:13:21 -0700
> From: Junaid Dawud <jdawud at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Cdt-l] waypoints Sam Huges water Caches?
> To: cdt-l at backcountry.net
> Message-ID: <54B8F2F9-3115-469D-B58F-B8A6E6CB3907 at gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> 
> Here here!
> 
> ---Junaid 'Speshul 41' Dawud
> 
> On Feb 12, 2013, at 11:00 AM, Trekker4 at aol.com wrote:
> 
>> Once again, lets have a standing ovation for all Jerry Brown does for the CDT!
>> 
>> Bob "Trekker" Brewer
>> Naturalized Citizen - Republic of Texas
>> 
>> In a message dated 2/11/2013 7:23:13 P.M. Central Standard Time, bcss at bresnan.net writes:
>> One of the big goals of the CDT is to be non-motorized.  That is why the new route was developed ? to put hikers on trail instead of road.   Good news is that the route will eventually include new trail from near Omega connecting to Pietown, so that town will always be part of the trail.  I have done both the new trail and the road walk and the new trail is definitely nicer.  If I were doing the trail for the first time I think I would hike to Omega then follow the highway to Pietown.   There is new trail planned from Pietown to the Malpais that will be spectacular.     
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> best wishes,
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Jerry Brown
>> 
>> (970) 403-3527    Cell: (970) 749-0496
>> 
>> mailto:bcss at bresnan.net
>> 
>> www.bearcreeksurvey.com
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> From: Doug Carlson [mailto:doug-sue at centurylink.net] 
>> Sent: Monday, February 11, 2013 5:54 PM
>> To: Cdt-l at backcountry.net
>> Cc: bcss at bresnan.net
>> Subject: RE: [Cdt-l] waypoints Sam Huges water Caches?
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Jerry, your  reference to the bearcreek maps and waypoints are a big help.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Those waypoints should get me to Silver City with no problem. 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> From there I want to go up through the heart of the Gila Wilderness via Doc Campbells and on to Pie Town.  I can't imagine the official route moving away from Pie Town unless there was a really really good reason.  I have looked forward to carrying a pack into Pie Town and eating pie for a long time. 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> I am feeling more confident  about this trip all the time. 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Side note:  with new gear, maps, food, mailing, travel, a long hike isn't cheap.  Can't wait to get going.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> -Trew
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> From: cdt-l-bounces at backcountry.net [mailto:cdt-l-bounces at backcountry.net] On Behalf Of bcss at bresnan.net
>> Sent: Monday, February 11, 2013 1:10 PM
>> To: Cdt-l at backcountry.net
>> Subject: Re: [Cdt-l] waypoints Sam Huges water Caches?
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Trew,
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Free waypoint files for the entire CDT (which include the cache boxes) are available here:  www.bearcreeksurvey.com   
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Take the Waypoints link on the main page and you will end up on a page where you can download them. They were all collected with professional grade gps and are quite accurate. There are 6972 waypoints in all for the entire trail route, average spacing a little over ? mile.  They only apply to the official USFS/BLM route for the CDNST so for the many possible alternate hikes such as the Gila River, Winds, or Anaconda cutoff they won?t help, but most of the time you will likely be on the official route.  I think Frank?s G?s website may have some helpful data for the alternates.  https://www.sites.google.com/site/frankgilliland/cdt
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> The Mapbooks are spiral bound collections of 1?=3000? scale hiker maps that show the official route and all    of the waypoints with a high level of accuracy. There is information about them on the front page of the bearcreek website. 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> These are the Waypoint names for the Water Boxes between Crazy Cook and Lordsburg:
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 01_137WT
>> 
>> 01_255WT
>> 
>> 02_194WT
>> 
>> 03_127WT
>> 
>> 04_198WT
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> There is a considerable amount of water in there in addition to the boxes.  (Farm ponds and watering tanks)  Any waypoint that ends in ?WT? is a place we found water.  I would suggest always carrying more than you anticipate needing in there in case one of them is dry or non functional.  If you plan for 20 miles between water sources you could do the entire thing just using the cache boxes.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> best wishes,
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Jerry Brown
>> 
>> mailto:bcss at bresnan.net
>> 
>> www.bearcreeksurvey.com
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> Cdt-l mailing list
>> Cdt-l at backcountry.net
>> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l
>> _______________________________________________
>> Cdt-l mailing list
>> Cdt-l at backcountry.net
>> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/cdt-l/attachments/20130212/e0ddb7de/attachment.html 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Cdt-l mailing list
> Cdt-l at backcountry.net
> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l
> 
> 
> End of Cdt-l Digest, Vol 65, Issue 14
> *************************************



More information about the Cdt-l mailing list